A trip to this lovely church needs planning as it is located on Thorney Island in an army base. A phone call to the padre to provide identification and to arrange a time to visit is needed - as well as taking a form of identification. However its all worth it as it is a lovely building.
The walls are of flint rubble with dressings of ashlar, mainly Caen stone. The earliest work are the two small windows on each side of the choir, which were unblocked in 1885. The tower dates from about 1200. Surrounding the priests door are scratch dials.
The church had at one time a north arcade, and the pillars remain in the north wall, semi exposed. The arches are also visible on the interior.
Here is the nave looking first east towards the sanctuary and secondly west, with the font in front of the tower arch.
Here is a closer look at the font and the pulpit.
The font is early Norman.
The pulpit was presented to the church in 1862 to mark the stay at Thorney Island of the No. 2 Air Navigation School (its badge is inscribed on the front), Royal Air Force. Unusually it is constructed of oak and slate and was made by John Skelton, A.R.B.S.
The north door was probably moved to its present location when the north aisle was removed, one of the stones containing dog-tooth moulding was omitted and is seen in the wall outside near the door. The memorial glass dates from 1976 when the Royal Air Force ended their long association with the island. It carries the engraving "Royal Air Force Station, Thorney Island, Fly to Assist 1938-1976".
The Royal Arms, on the north wall, date from 1714-1800.
The final view is of the church from the path to the car park. The tower is obviously awaiting new shingles. The piece of stone work which looks like a buttress on the south eastern corner of the tower is in fact a remnant of the south aisle - the foundations have been traced indicating an aisle width of seventeen feet. Inside the easternmost pillar of the south aisle is visible, it having been restored following discovery of its stones in the wall in 1885.
The tower contains an ancient 13th century bell.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.