The Parish of Slaugham occupies and area of some 5,500 acres and comprises four villages, Pease Pottage, Handcross, Slaugham and Warninglid.
Here are two views of the nave, the first looking east, the second west.
The church has a large south aisle which terminates in the Covert chapel at the east end, which contains some fine memorials to the Covert family.
The monument shown here was moved from the floor in the restoration of 1859 and is in memory of John Covert, 1472 - 1503. The inscription on the brass is "Pray for the soul of John Covert, Knight, son of William Covert, Knt., which said John died 6th August 1503, on whose soul may God have mercy, Amen."
Here are two views of the south aisle, the first looking east into the Covert chapel and the second looking west. The brass pictured above may be seen on the wall to the right of the east window.
The font is of late Norman period, made of Sussex marble, and stands on a modern plinth. Two faces of the bowl have four panels each for decoration, the third a conventional tree design, and the fourth a rude design of a fish, the latter making the Slaugham font unique, at least amongst Sussex fonts. The organ was a gift of Mary and Michael Warren, in affectionate memory of their mother, Eveline. It was dedicated on 11th February 1977 and reuses part of the Victorian case and pipework.
The church has many stained glass windows, this one of the nativity is my favourite, the rest can be viewed by clicking here or on the window below.
The nearby All Saints, Handcross is part of the Slaugham parish.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.