What we see today is in fact the chancel from the13th century church that was dismantled in 1864-66 and re-erected in the centre of the village as the new parish church, St Peter's. The building remains consecrated and the churchyard is still used for internments.
Here are two views of the inside - the former chancel arch is clear, incorporated in the new west wall. The pews date from about 1860, carved in English oak. To the left of the altar there are some remnants of wall paintings.
The font was a donation from St Martin's Church, Chichester (demolished in the early 20th century).
Probably the most important object in the church is the Tudor canopied tomb, dedicated to John Lewis and his wife Agas who were Lord and Lady of the Manor, he being her third husband. The tomb is made of Caen stone and is mid 16th century. The side panels carry depictions of St George slaying the dragon and the martyrdom of St Agatha. Below the figures are the three families shields (Wayte, Lovel & Gorges). At one time the whole tomb would have been painted.
The east window was donated by the then owner of Norton Priory. Capt. Winfield dedicated the window to his brother and also his friend, both of whom died in the First World War. To see the rest of the windows in the building, click here or on the image below.
The central panel is dedicated to his wife Stephanie. There is also a life size statue dedicated to her under the east window outside, shown in the picture below.
Here is a view of the church from an early twentieth century postcard on display in the church. The major differences today are that the five bar gate has been replaced by a lych-gate and the turret replaced by an overhang of the roof to protect the single bell.
The church is cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust.
Information on this page was obtained from the guide leaflet available in the church - a fuller publication is planned.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.