The foundation stone was laid on St Wilfrid's Day, 1863, by Miss Frances Dealtry of Bolnore who, with her sister, contributed largely to the building fund. The total cost amounted to £6000 excepting the costs of the green stone and the site, which were gifts.
The church was designed by Mr G F Bodley RA and was built by Mr John Fabrian of Brighton.
The church, marking virtually the centre of Sussex and the Diocese of Chichester, was consecrated by Bishop Gilbert on Whit Monday (St Boniface's Day), 5th June1865, in which year St Wilfrid's became a separate ecclesiastical parish with the Rev R E Wyatt as its first vicar. The patronage of the living remained with the vicar of Cuckfield until 1910 when it was transferred to the Bishop of Chichester.
In the Modern English Romanesque style of architecture, and with beautiful stained glass windows, the church consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles and vestries. Its eighty eight foot high tower has a peal of 10 tubular bells and a one-ton "Kleinwort" bell, on which the clock strikes the hours.
The pews were replaced by chairs in 1997.
The organ, situated on the west gallery, was installed in 1997 and replaced an earlier instrument donated in 1880. The organ was built by Kenneth Tickell.
Here are two of the windows - the strong light outside made taking pictures of them rather difficult!
This one is of St Mary of Bethany and The Centurion.
And this one is in memory of two brothers, Robert & William Pook, who died in the 1914-18 war.
The first daughter church of St Wilfrid's was the Church of the Presentation.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.