The Parish is joined with Keymer.
This ancient church is well know for its wall paintings. This picture is taken of the north side, the normal entry point to the building being through the north porch.
Here is a view looking east from the nave into the chancel. The dominant feature is the 11th century chancel arch. The triple lancet east window dates from the mid 19th century, however the side lancet windows are 13th century, although all are filled with Victorian glass. The second image shows the nave as seen from the chancel.
There are differing opinions regarding date of the paintings on the walls of the church. It was once considered that they date from the 12th century and stemmed from the Priory of Lewes, a Cluniac Foundation, but more recent views have been divided. In the Oxford History of English Art, Professor Talbort Rice dated the paintings to about 1080. Dr Audrey Baker also estimated them as earlier than the 12th century. In his Buildings of England (Sussex), Nicholas Pevsner said the style was not Cluniac. Many observers can see a Byzantine influence, other see suggestions of Saxon influence. Investigations have confirmed that the paint is applied to the first plaster of the church.
This image over the chancel arch depicts the uncrowned figure of Jesus within a vesica held by two kneeling angels. The white robed apostles are informally grouped on either side.
The font was placed in the church in 1850, replacing a much earlier one which has completely vanished. The small pipe organ is situated at the west end of the nave underneath the massive beams supporting the tower above.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.