Bosham is perhaps the oldest Christian site in Sussex, there being documentary evidence for a small Christian community in the 7th century. The tower is Saxon, and studies on the timbers forming the spire indicate this was added in 1406/7.
The fabulous early Norman chancel arch with the organ on the north wall of the chancel. There is a suggestion, no-longer supported by experts, that the bases of the chancel arch rest on Roman foundations. A burial at the foot of the chancel steps is believed to be that of King Canute's daughter who was drowned in a brook. The existence of a grave of a young girl buried in a Saxon Coffin has been verified in modern times, lending credibility to this story.
The font rests on a small raised stone platform, presumably built when the floor of the church was lowered in 1865. The font is late 12th century and the octagonal lead-lined bowl is of Purbeck marble. The metal fittings which once secured the long-gone wooden lid are still visible.
The nave, looking across into the north aisle.
At the east end of the south aisle is a crypt. The platform above has been known as All Hallows Chapel at least from medieval times.
The window in the south wall, above the crypt, contains roundels of beautiful old glass.
Here are the roundels themselves - worth a closer look. They are 15th century Flemish work and depict four angels holding the instruments of the Passion of Christ - the pincers, spear, scourge and hammer. They came from the private collection of Sir Thomas Legge and were presented to the church in 1955.
Here is a view of the crypt; it is now used as a small chapel.
Here is a final interior view, of the nave looking west. The opening in the west wall is a triangular headed Saxon doorway which presumably gave access to a long gone western gallery. The western arch too is Saxon. The small opening to the left of the doorway is believed to have been inserted when the final stage of the tower was constructed as a squint for the ringer of the Sanctus bell. There is a round-headed door at the original second floor level.
The final exterior view is of the north side.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.