Another remote marsh church, of elegant proportions and standing on a mound amid the dykes. The three stage tower is Norman, the shingled spire is later. This is the only part of the original church visible from the outside.
The church was enlarged in the 13th century when arcades and two narrow aisles were added. The east window was altered again in the 14th century and has elaborate Decorated cusped tracery filled with clear glass.
The double piscina and sedilia, both of Caen stone, were added in the 13th century.
There is a face in the centre of the moulding above the sedilia.
Here is a view of the nave looking west. The black text boards contain the Ten Commandments, the Creed and the Lord's Prayer. The high Georgian box pews were removed and lower pews (possibly the earlier ones cut down) have replaced them.
The organ is modern and hangs on the west wall. The console is under the most easterly of the southern arcade arches. The font is octagonal on a plain column and has a wooden lid.
Although most of the glass is clear, there are a couple of nice stained glass windows, the first depicting Jesus, "I stand at the door and knock".
The second is actually a facsimile of a panel which was installed in memory of a former Rector, the Rev Thomas Frederick Cooke, which was stolen in 1994. The replacement was made by Nell Fuller and has been built into the window for better security.
The well known author, Edith M Nesbit (1858 - 1924), is buried in the churchyard. There is also a memorial plaque in the church in her memory.
Here is the north side of this lovely church.
Here is a final view of the church from the west.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.