This remote church is approached by a long path through trees. It was declared redundant in 1983 and is now in the care of the Romney Marshes Historic Churches Trust. The building remains consecrated and services are still occasionally held.
Most of the church is 13th century, although the upper part of the tower is 15th century.
Here is a view of the nave looking east.
The font is Victorian, however a badly damaged bowl from a 13th century font was rescued in about 1929 from use as a rainwater butt.
The Royal Arms of 1735 have been restored.
The chancel has been heavily restored and, like the nave, has a king post roof. The window tracery is wholly 19th century, following the design of its predecessor.
There is a harmonium against the northern wall of the chancel which is showing signs of neglect and age.
The south porch is Victorian and was in ruins for many years until rebuilding in 1989.
The west facing window in the south porch.
Here is a view of the church from the north east, with the 13th century lady chapel in the foreground. It opens from the chancel through two Perpendicular arches. The chapel later became a school room (a use indicated by the fireplace) and it is now the church vestry.
There is a Piscina in the south-east corner of the Lady Chapel wall with a broken bowl. A plain 13th century arch leads from the chapel through the west wall into the nave, and an adjacent (Victorian) door leads to the churchyard, the main entrance to the church today.
Here is a final view of the church from the west. The tower contains three bells, now un-hung for safety, of which one is nationally important being one of only three known survivors of the foundry of Stephen Norton of Maidstone (c.1380). The other two were cast at the Whitechapel Foundry by Thomas Mears in 1795.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.