St Stephen, Walbrook, City of London - 24th November 2003

Situated a stone's through from the Bank of England, the following interesting information was gleaned from a sign fixed to the outside of the building.

A Saxon church was built in this location in the 7th century, probably on the foundations of a 3rd century Mithras Temple, which are today preserved in Queen Victoria Street.  In 1096 the Patron was Eudo, Dapifer to Henry I.

A larger gothic church was built 1439, and subsequently destroyed in 1666 by the Great Fire.

The present church by Wren's was built  in the years1672-9, was damaged by bombing in 1941, rededicated in 1954, further restored during the period 1978-87 and rededicated in1987 with a new altar by Henry Moore.

Recognised as one of Wren's smaller masterpieces. the interior is claimed to be the "most perfectly proportioned in the world". 

St Stephen, Walbrook, City of London, 27th November 2003 - MTC

In 1959 this church was the birthplace of "The Samaritans" who's aim is to befriend the suicidal and despairing and in 1974 of "Befrienders International".

Digital photograph

Visitors to this album since June 2003

This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages


Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.