Holy Sepulchre without Newgate, City of London - 24th November 2003

Known as St Sepulchre without Newgate, this church is not too badly crowded out by its neighbours, unlike many of the churches in the City. 

The present building was erected on the site of a Saxon church dedicated to St Edmund which became known as St Edmund and the Holy Sepulchre between the years 1103 and 1173, when it was in the care of the Augustinian Canons who were Knights of the Holy Sepulchre. Later the name of the church became shortened to St Sepulchre.

The church was enlarged and rebuilt in 1450, the walls, tower and porch survive from that period.  During the Great Fire of 1666 the building was badly damaged, and the interior was restored in 1670 and has been much altered since.
St Sepulchre without Newgate, City of London, 24th November 2003 - MTC

The ashes of Sir Henry Wood, founder of the famous Promenade Concerts held in the Royal Albert Hall are interred in the Musicians Chapel, which has many other memorials to famous musicians.

The church also contains the Regimental Chapel of the Royal Fusiliers.

Digital photograph

Visitors to this album since June 2003

This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages

Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.