There is nothing substantive remaining of the church the Normans built in Sedlescombe to replace an earlier (probably wooden) Saxon church, the last remaining part, the Chancel Arch, was removed in the late 19th century.
The oldest part of the present ironstone edifice is said to be of the first half of the 13th century. In the 15th century it was enlarged with Perpendicular additions. The nave roof, with its fine king post, trusses with moulded tie-beams and roof plates, the tower arch and tower and two arches of the northern aisle date from this period.
Here is a view of the nave looking east into the chancel, with a lovely pool of light from the February sunshine on the central aisle.
These two stone angels, carrying the bread and wine, decorate the chancel arch - presumably therefore they are arch-angels?!
In 1868 the old east wall was demolished and the church extended with a new chancel, vestry and porch. The old east window was put into the new east wall, however with the plain glass replaced with stained glass depicting the last supper and crucifixion. It was installed to commemorate the late rector and his wife, John and Mary Pratt. In addition the 1632 gallery was removed, the old pulpit replaced with a new Victorian one of stone and inlaid marble and the weather vane was put up when the restoration was completed in 1874.
These three lancet windows are in the chancel.
Here are the rest of the windows which contained stained glass.
The font and its unique cover date from the early 16th century before the Reformation. The font is a plain octagonal limestone bowl, gathered in below to a round bead at the stem, which, together with the splayed base is circular. The oak cover is octagonal like the font and is composed of carved linenfold panels surmounted by tracery. The corner pieces carry up to finials in the centre of which the top arises in the form of a crocketted pinnacle. The cover includes doors with the traces of an old lock. There is no record of when the organ was installed, however the guidebook states that "musically it has contributed much to the services but architecturally it has destroyed the beauty and balance of the church". Harsh words!
The east end from the churchyard with a Star of David at the apex of the roof.
This final picture is the first view visitors get of the church from the road - the tower and the west door. The tower belfry is lit by one trefoiled light on each side. Above the west door is a three light window with perpendicular tracery.
All the bells in the tower, despite the fact they date from 1595 to 1929 were all cast at the Whitechapel foundry. No. 6 is the tenor and the largest and oldest, being inscribed "Robertus Mot me fecit 1595". Robert Mot was a well known bell caster, in 1606 he retired, selling his business to Joseph Carter.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.