The parish was united with Southease in 1944 and in 1975 Rodmell was linked with Iford and Kingston.
The nave, south chapel and chancel are early 12th century. The south chapel was originally a private chapel for Rodmell place. In the late 1100's the side aisle was added, together with the tower and annexe which is now used as a baptistry. Indicators to the date are the austere flint work and small lancet windows, typical of about 1200, although the extension of the aisle to cover the south side of the tower is unusual at this date.
The arch in the west wall when the tower was added in the late 12th century. There are six bells, three from the early 17th century and three which were added in 1909. One of the old bells is inscribed "Our hope is in the lord, 1607, R.E." - Richard Eldridge being the founder. Another "Brian Eldridge me fecit R.T., B.B. 1652". At present only three bells may be chimed; proper ringing having been stopped on the grounds of structural safety.
The church underwent a major restoration by the Victorians, and much of the present arrangement dates from that time. The chancel arch, pulpit and lectern date from this period. The arch replaced an earlier pointed arch composed of similarly carved blocks. Two of these original blocks are preserved in the south chapel. The remains of an opening are visible on the right of the arch, this may have been to allow the priest to see the altar during ceremonies on the rood screen which is assumed to have been present. A small squint between nave and chancel lower down was closed in 1951 for structural safety.
The small Norman window on the north side of the chancel and small windows above the chancel arch are early features. Otherwise the windows and much of their stone facing are Victorian except the east window which was rebuilt in the 15th century. Its glass is Victorian and depicts the life of St Peter (photo below).
The only surviving medieval glass (15th or 16th century) is in the small window above the pulpit. It represents the trinity and there is a picture below. It may have come from Lewes Priory.
Here are the church banner, font and pipe organ. The banner was made by parishioners to celebrate the millennium and replaced one made around 1920 which included an earlier, embroidered mid-Victorian central panel, the silks of which were decaying. It is now housed in a glazed case by the organ to prevent further deterioration. The font is 12th century. The central support is original but the corner shafts are later additions. The cover dates from Tudor times.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.