The present church is built of knapped flint and sandstone, mainly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles. It has an imposing tower at the west end. The earliest parts of the building are the south porch and nave, which are both 13th century. The chancel is of the late Decorated period (1350 - 1371) and the tower, in the Perpendicular style, was built about 1420 to 1430. The windows of the nave are also of this period.
Here are two interior views of the nave, looking east and west. It is lofty and of beautiful proportions, the high arches leading to the chancel and tower and the four large windows make it light and rather cold. Before the reformation the rood screen and loft would have made the building less austere. The arch which once led to the rood stairs can be seen in the north-east corner of the nave. The roof is open with two tie beams supporting moulded king posts with longitudinal struts.
The tower arch is high and narrow, of two chamfered orders, resting on semi-octagonal responds with perpendicular bases and capitals. The access to the bell chamber is via the small pointed head doorway, with original door, on the left of the west window.
The chancel arch is of two orders, the semi-octagonal responds are set well back, The four side windows have shallow splays and double segmental heads with rear arches. Above the east window is an interior hood moulding with horizontal stops.
There is a fine 14th century Sedilia under a single arch which is deeply and elaborately moulded. Each side of the bench which has room for two people, is a swmi-octagonal jamb with, on the east soffit, scratched words in medieval lettering. The upper letters, about 51 inches abode the seat, are "Sctus Sps" (Sanctus Spiritus), and below are seven parallel lines. The words appear to be "Mtr dei" (Mother of God) followed by "Sancta Maria" and six lines.
The large piscina has a trefoiled head and the projecting semi-octagonal bowl has a scalloped drain.
The damaged holy water stoup in the south porch dates from the 14th century.
The enormous east window contains ten separate remains of 14th century glass, including two of the evangelistic symbols. In addition, a small panel has a crowned Tudor rose painted on it. This picture has had electronic perspective correction applied to it. There is no other stained glass in the church. The fine tracery of this window is of note.
Here are the font and pipe organ. The square font stands on a circular shaft with four octagonal supporting shafts and is much restored.
This final picture shows the tower from the west. It contains five bells which were originally cast by John Waylett in 1717. The 3rd, 4th and Tenor were recast in 1887 by John Warner and Sons of London. The Treble and 2nd were recast in 1961 by John Taylor and Co. of Loughborough when the whole peal was tuned and re-hung with new fittings. The bell frame is of oak and was built in 1676. It is thought that prior to 1717 there were probably just three larger bells. A ringing floor was added to the tower in 1965 enabling the ground floor to be used as a vestry.
The clock was installed in 1898 as a memorial to the Rev. Shuttleworth Sutton, Rector for 35 years. This is recorded on a brass tablet in the church.
The tower bears the buckle emblem of the Pelham family, one of a group in Sussex built over a period of a century or more, and which testifies to the family's piety and its architectural conservatism, for they are all much the same.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.