Originally Norman, this church has been enlarged and altered at different times throughout its history, with the Victorian's having their hand between 1847 and 1852. For many years this church claimed dedication to St Nicholas, however it has now been demonstrated that this was the dedication of the Chantry Chapel (Manor Chapel), as a will of 1497 refers to the Church of All Saints at Icklesham.
The church is entered through an unusual 19th century hexagonal porch at the west end which has doors in both the north and south sides. The porch originally stood about the middle of the north aisle, and in 1847 the Rev T T Churton writes that the church was entered by a descending flight of six steps through a round west porch built in 1785. This round porch was rebuilt into the present form during the 1847-52 restoration.
The western wall of the church has the oldest masonry visible, and the original "corner" of the church can clearly be seen south of the porch.
Once inside this is the view of the interior that greets the visitor.
Here is a closer view of the east window (1848).
The only two other windows containing stained glass are in the north wall (west end), "In memoriam, Ellen & Herbert Brooke", and the west wall of the north aisle "To the Glory of God and in memory of + C.E.Harris + H.C.Henman + E.W.S.Jacobi + A.R.Outram of the Motor Squadron L.V.R. sometime quartered in Icklesham who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918. This window is dedicated by their comrades".
The north and south arcades are Norman, and in the south aisles the three small windows are also Norman.
The span-roof is Victorian, as are the carved stone corbels which support the timbers. During the restoration work, traces of Norman clerestory windows were found on the outside of the nave wall above the arcade. This indicates that prior to 1327-77, when the overall roof was constructed, the aisles were each covered with lower roofs and an outside wall between the nave and aisles.
The pipe organ.
Both the north and south chapels have beautiful transitional Norman arcades, which it is believed were moved from the Chancel between 1272-1327. The view below is of the south chapel.
The chancel and chapels all contain piscinŠ, here those of the chancel and south chapel. The north chapel and base of the tower were not open to visitors (with warnings that they are alarmed).
Here is the nave looking west from the chancel arch. The west window is a Victorian restoration.
Here is the font, located at the west end of the north aisle.
The arch leading from the south aisle to the Chantry Chapel, together with a blocked circular window above it, are relics of a former, much smaller (1189-1272), south chapel.
Here is the east end, with the chancel flanked by the south and north chapels, the latter is now used as a vestry.
The final image is of the north side. During the restorations (1842 - 1852) by S S Teulon, the top of tower was altered, but the changes were so disliked that in 1928, when the stone parapet was badly crumbling, it was removed and used to border the churchyard path. The tower was returned to its original apearance. It is built in three stages - the lowest is vaulted. The belfry windows are of double lights.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.