Chantry Chapel at Lytes Carey, Somerset - 13th August 2004

On our visit to Lytes Cary, a fabulous National Trust property, I took a few photographs of the chantry chapel which pre-dates the house.  Unlike many such chapels, there is no internal connection between the house and chapel, although there is a tiny window giving a view of the inside from the house.

The chapel was completed in 1348 and was thoroughly renovated in 1631 by Thomas Lyte, who installed the present roof and the frieze painted with the arms of the Lytes and their relations.

Lytes Cary, Somerset, Sussex - 13th August 2004 - MTC

In 1912 Sir WalterJenner added the stained glass, which includes medieval glass said to have come from Charlton Mackrell church, which William Le Lyte had commissioned before his death in 1316.  William is also commemorated by a tablet to the right of the altar.

Lytes Cary, Somerset, Sussex - 13th August 2004 - MTC

The final view is of the chapel from the garden.

Lytes Cary, Somerset, Sussex - 13th August 2004 - MTC

Digital photographs


Visitors to this album since June 2003


This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.