The tower predates the church and is 14th century; the tower arch mouldings are of the Decorated period. The windows in the tower are 15th century and were probably added when the Perpendicular nave was added.
The nave looking east. The north wall is dominated by two large monuments, one to a former rector (1731-40) and who died unmarried in 1742, Sir John Tynte, the other to his younger brother Sir Charles Tynte, died 1785. The 15th century ceiling carries carved bosses all of different design.
A closer view of the chancel. The glass in the east window was given in memory of several members of the Kemeys Tynte family. The tracery is in early Perpendicular style, much restored in 1884. The ogee-headed piscina is 14th century; the aumbry is rebated to take a door. The damask banner was made and painted by Mr & Mrs Richard Ansdell in 1978 to celebrate the millennium of the patron saint.
The south windows of the chancel contains glass inserted in 1884 depicting the annunciation.
The Perpendicular font is octagonal and carved with quatrefoils and dates from about 1450. The pulpit dates from about 1630. It was moved to its present position in 1884, mounted on a new base and the stairs added. The sounding board, or Tester, can be dated to between 1690-1700. It was reinstalled in the church having been stored for many years, in 1910. The small door behind the pulpit leads to a spiral staircase that once gave access to the rood loft.
The Halswell Chapel, to the north of the chancel, contains a massive early 18th century monument to Sir Nicholas Halswell and his wife Bridget, whose effigies lie here surrounded by the kneeling figures of their six sons and three daughters. This chapel also contains a beam which may once have been part of the lost chancel screen.
The west window contains glass installed in 1885 in memory of Rev Francis Crane Parsons M.A. Rector 1845-1871. It depicts St Edward in the centre flanked by St Peter and St Paul with scenes from the martyrdom beneath.
The final photo is of the tower from the west.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.