The oldest part of the church is the south chancel wall with a small priests doorway (covered by plaster internally). This was probably built before 1320. The tower was built about 1440, and later the south side of the nave, chancel arch and porch were re-built, whilst the aisle was added in the 16th century.
The 15th century porch has the remains of a holy-water stoup, with an arch above, but the basin is broken away. The base of the shaft remains in the stone seat. The doorway in the porch is of Ham Hill stone with Tudor roses above.
The massive iron bound chest is probably 16th century and has three locks, thereby requiring three key holders to be present before it could be opened.
The 15th century font is octagonal and is unusually located in a break in the seating between carved panels.
The nave looking east and then west. The wreathed capitals on the Ham stone columns are of the Devonshire type. On one pillar are four shields showing the instruments of the passion. On the north the cross and crown, on the south the sponge and spear, on the east nails, and to the west the hands and feet and heart of Christ.
The church contains a magnificent and nationally important set of bench ends. The carved front on a pew near the organ was originally on the front of the nave seating. Here is an example of the magnificent work.
A bench end in the nave carries the inscription "Simon Werman". In Trull church is carved "Simon Warman maker of thys worke. 1560". Kingston seating (1522) and Crowcombe (1534) are similar.
There are delightfully carved angels decorating the beautiful waggon roofs of the nave and aisle. There are forty seven altogether, all holding shields, locates at the base of each rib. The bosses are carved leaves. According to the guide, "the chancel roof is modern and uninteresting."
Above the south door are the Royal Arms of Queen Anne, dated 1714.
The small organ is situated at the east end of the north aisle and was made by Robert Allen of Bristol.
The north aisle is of a local type and has retained the original embattlements and the bold gargoyles.
The church from the east.
The chancel was partly rebuilt in the eighteenth century, and the east wall and window in the nineteenth.
The final view is of the church from the west.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.