The church dates from c.1450, although it is likely it replaces an earlier building. The church is unusual in that it is built largely in the Decorated style at a date when Perpendicular architecture was more in fashion. The clerestory and south aisle windows are all Perpendicular, as is the unusually high tower.
Here is a view of the nave looking west towards the soaring tower arch. The clerestory really adds height and light to the space.
The font is one of the main treasures of the church and has some wonderful carvings.
Angels kneel at the eight corners of the bowl, while the linking arcades have tiny figures of evangelists, grotesques and even a mermaid. Beneath the band of quatrefoil carving are eight men with their hands on their knees.
Here is the pipe organ, which is situated in a vestry to the south of the chancel.
The chancel is Early English and was restored in 1865. It has a triple lancet window in the east wall, which is fitted with modern glass.
Here is a view of the nave looking east into the chancel.
The steps which originally led to the rood loft are well preserved. They were rediscovered when a monument was removed for mending, and were fully opened up in 1884 at the time of the construction of the (organ) vestry.
The nave roof was renewed in about 1847. It is supported on medieval corbels and has a series of fine carved bosses which are all different. These were re-gilded in 1966.
The stone heads are fine examples of 15th century work.
At the west end of the north aisle is a window containing glass representing St George and St Michael.
Here is a view of the splendid tower from the west.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.