St Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004

This is a really lovely church, and should be on your must see list if visiting Monmouthshire.

The tower is unusual. It belongs to the period when the Welsh border was subject to sudden raids and the villagers might need to seek refuge at any time.  The tower has five feet thick walls and is capped with a 'Dovecote' which in times of scarcity or danger could have housed pigeons as well as bells.  The clock was installed in 1926.

St Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

Here are two views of the nave, the first looking east, the second west. The reading desk, visible to the left of the west facing view, has its front made from a piece of the old rood screen.  It is pierced with tracery, one in the form of a cross.  These carvings were 'Hagioscopes' or Squints which enabled the congregation to view the proceedings in the otherwise hidden chancel.

St Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTCSt Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

Here are the reading desk, entrance door (within a door) from the south porch and the font.

St Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTCSt Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTCSt Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

The piscina dates from the 13th century and has a semicircular canopy, rather out of keeping with its date.

St Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

The tomb (below) is in the north aisle. It is the tomb of John Morgan and his wife Ann.  John died at the Waen, his residence, in Skenfrith in 1557.  He was Steward of the Dutchy of Lancaster and the last governor of the well known "Three Castles" (Grosmont, Skenfrith and White Castle).  He was a member of parliament for the Monmouthshire Boroughs in 1553 and 1554.

St Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

Near the tomb is the Morgan Pew, carved in the Jacobean style and of the square shape used at that time.

St Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

The east window has been assembled from fragments of ancient glass which were recovered from the ground below various windows by a former vicar.  They date from the 15th century.  The rest of the windows are glazed with beautiful old crown glass.

St Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

This view of the church interior is taken from the south aisle, looking across the nave, into the north aisle.  Note the picturesque oil lamps.

St Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

The final view of the church is from the north-east showing the chancel, north aisle and the top of the tower.  The tower contains six bells, dating from 1764, which were re-hung in 1911.  They were cast by Thomas Rudhall.

St Bridget, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

Digital photographs


Visitors to this album since June 2003


This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.