St Mary the Virgin, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Near Usk,  Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004

This building is no longer in regular use for worship and is owned and maintained by the Friends of Friendless Churches. You will find more information about the building on their website and many internal photographs. Sadly we were not organised enough to arrange entry, so had to content ourselves with exterior views and having discovered since what is contained within regret not seeking the key.

This simple medieval church was rebuilt in 1875-6 by the architect John Dando Sedding who carefully reused some of the original fabric.

The chancel roof and much of the window tracery are medieval, whilst the 15th century chancel screen and Norman font are survivors from the earlier building.

St Mary the Virgin, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Near Usk, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

The north chancel window contains fragments of medieval glass whilst some monuments and floor slabs of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries were also incorporated into the rebuilding. In the churchyard is a late medieval cross to which Sedding added a new top.

St Mary the Virgin, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Near Usk, Monmouthshire, Wales - 29th September 2004 - MTC

In 1885 the Vicarís wife, Rosamund Lindsay died. Her husband - who had instigated the rebuilding of the church ten years earlier - decided to decorate the interior in her memory. The artist chosen, Heywood Sumner, came from an ecclesiastical family. His father was Bishop of Winchester and his mother the founder of The Motherís Union. At Llanfair Kilgeddin he introduced graffito panels to enhance the interior, taking The Benedicite as his theme. True to medieval tradition, Sumner included local features in his designs - for example in ĎO Ye Mountains and Hillsí on the north wall of the nave the nearby River Usk, the Sugar Loaf and Llanvihangel Gobion church tower are all included.

By the 1980ís the Parochial Church Council had received several architects reports that made the future of the building look bleak and the church was declared redundant. In order to save this remarkable - and much loved - church, the Friends of Friendless Churches took it on with the offer of an 100% grant from Cadw towards the essential repairs.

Digital photographs


Visitors to this album since June 2003


This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.