The Domesday book mentions a church at Warehorne, however no Saxon or Norman work survives. The oldest part of the current structure is the central part of the Early English nave, c.1200 to which were added the chancel, the aisles and the original stone tower, the whole being completed by about 1450 - 1500.
The porch has a Flemish gable, a style said to have been introduced into Kent by the Huguenot refugees in the 16th century. The date, 1784, is carved into the corbel over the door, but the oak benches inside are older.
The tower, originally of stone, was struck by lightening in 1770, and by 1777 it had been rebuilt in brick. The stair head turret and wind vane were added in 1820.
Here is a view of the inside of the church looking east. The most easterly columns are of smoothed Bethersden marble, the others being left rough.
Here is a view looking from the altar back west down the nave; the king posts supporting the roof are original.
The Royal Arms are of Queen Anne's reign and hang on a wooden partition under the original tower arch.
Here is a closer view of the Royal Arms.
The font is a 17th century bowl on a 19th century base and surround. A musicians' gallery, formerly at the west end, was dismantled in 1889.
Above the font are two small areas of ancient painted decoration, one is shown below.
The north aisle was probably the lady chapel. On the north side is the blocked door which once led to the stairway incorporated within the wall leading to the rood loft. The openings in the walls of the aisles can still be seen. The are remnants of 14th century stained glass in the top of the north-east window.
The south aisle originally contained the chapel of St Catherine, who was regarded as the patron saint of wool merchants.
The chancel floor was raised and paved in the early 19th century, however the original Sedilia, Piscina and Aumbry survive in the sanctuary.
Here is a view of the church from the south east.
And finally from the north east.
The details on this page came from information provided in the church.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.