St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005

St Clement's Church was originally built in the 12th century.  It is entered through a porch on the north side.

St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

It was enlarged not long after with the addition of a narrow southern aisle with an arcade of Early English arches, shown below.

St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

The Royal Arms are of George III, dated 1800, and hang over the chancel arch.

St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

This brass has been removed from the floor and mounted on the wall.  It depicts John and Margaret Ips, and can be dated to c.1526.

St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

The font is unusual and dates from c.1300.  It has a bowl of Purbeck marble which is supported on a plinth and base of Caen stone.  The supporting columns have carved capitals depicting men, beasts and foliage.

St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

Here is a view of this exquisite interior from the Georgian Minstrel's Gallery.  The pews were painted pink to restore the church to a period presentation by the Rank Film Organisation for filming "Dr. Syn" in 1963.  They had been battleship grey prior to the repainting.

St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

Here is a closer view of the chancel.  The altar rails date from the time of Queen Anne and the wooden panelled altar piece is 17th century work.

St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

The nave has massive moulded tie beams and crown posts.  The most westerly beam was cut through to allow for the insertion of a 14th century window.  A slim piece of iron now bridges the gap left across the window.

St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

The building has just one stained glass window, in the west wall of the north chapel.  It is depicts Jesus as the Good Shepherd and is inscribed: "To the Glory of God this window was given to the Church of St Clement Old Romney by Thomas Hoyler Nov 18?86?".

St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

Here is a final view of the church from the south west.  The shingled 14th century tower contains three bells, 1684, 1505 and 1709.  A notice in the base of the tower indicates that the bells are currently not safe to ring.

St Clement, Old Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

Digital photographs


Visitors to this album since June 2003


This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.