All Saints Church is distinguished by both a very tall tower and a very long nave - in fact the building is the longest church in Kent. The 15th century tower is 132 feet high and was rebuilt and heightened between 1438 and 1441. The crocketed pinnacle was added when Thomas Wolsey, later to become Cardinal, was rector.
The church originated as a Saxon aisled basilica built in the 10th century, and parts of this are incorporated at the west end of the present north aisle; the blocked window and arches represent the oldest remaining church fabric on the Romney Marsh. No Norman work survives as the building was largely reconstructed in the first half of the 13th century and then enlarged several times over the next two hundred years. The arcades are Early English (eastern four bays) and Perpendicular (western three bays).
The north aisle contains the Royal arms of George II and 16th and 17th century brasses which have been removed from the floor. In the north chapel there is a recumbent effigy of a crusader in a niche, adjacent to the tomb of Clement Stuppenyne, great grandson of Richard Stuppenye of New Romney.
Here is the font - which for such a large church seems rather small.
Here is the organ, slightly obscured by the overhead projection screen, useful items which always look rather out of place in ancient buildings!
The length of the building is evident in this view of the south side.
The entire east end was destroyed by bomb damage ni 1940, but was restored. This final view shows clearly the rebuilt chancel and its three lancet windows which replace the destroyed Perpendicular east window. The lancets are probably closer to the original design.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.