St Eanswyth, Brenzett, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005

Sadly locked when we visited, the church is set back from the road and is surrounded by trees.  It was heavily restored in 1876, but needed urgent attention again in 1902 when the bell turret and chancel had to be rebuilt.  The latter retains a 13th century priest's door and some Norman herring bone masonry.

St Eanswyth, Brenzett, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

Inside, the pulpit is all that remains of a three-decker; the sounding board has found new function as a table top in the vestry.

Here is the east end - there seems to have been recent restoration work.

St Eanswyth, Brenzett, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

Apart from two 16th century tie beams, the roof was renewed in pine.  The belfry contains an ancient tenor bell, bearing an inscription to St Michael.  It was cast at the London foundry of William Dawe between 1390 and 1420.

Here is a final view of the church from the north east.

St Eanswyth, Brenzett, Romney Marsh, Kent - 21st July 2005 - MTC

Digital photographs


Visitors to this album since June 2003


This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.