The church consists of a nave, chance and west tower surmounted by a wooden belfry and pyramidal tiled spire.
The nave, looking east towards the chancel. The four windows are 14th century in style, and some contain pieces of the original glass. Above the south door is a blocked Norman window.
A view from the chancel into the nave.
The stained glass windows are shown on a separate page here, or by clicking on the small image below.
The font, situated in the south west corner of the nave.
The small pipe organ in the north east corner of the nave. It was purchased from Old Shoreham Parish Church in 1952, and after a complete overhaul was installed here and dedicated in January 1953. It only has five speaking stops and is therefore one of the smallest two-manual and pedal organs in the country.
The Reredos is the work of Mr Kruger Gray, FSA.
The Royal Arms of George III hang over the chancel arch, they are dated 1774.
Near the south door, and contemporary with the Royal Arms hangs a Hatchment of Lord Justice Luxmoor who lived at the nearby Priory.
The bell hangs under its own small roof at the base of the tower - deafening for the ringer?! It is hung here as the belfry is no longer strong enough to carry its 9cwt weight. The inscription reads "In mullets anise resonate Campaighn Jonah's" - which translated means, "For many a year the bell of John shall sound". The casting of the bell was paid for by Henry Jordan, a citizen and fishmonger of London, in the 15th century.
These blocked openings are in the south east corner of the nave. There appear to have been a doorway with window above, the higher entrance may have been to a rood loft.
I assume this statue depicts the patron saint.
Here is an external view of the tower from the north west. The weathervane was given by the Walter family of Folkestone to replace that lost in the Great Storm of 1987. It is said to have come from the old Seamen's Institute in Lowestoft.
This coat of arms - dated 1590, is on the west wall of the tower just below the shingles.
A view of this lovely building from the south west.
Information on this page from notes on display in the church.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.