St Peter, Dyrham, Gloucestershire - 24th September 2004

On our way to Wales we stopped off at Dyrham to visit the wonderful stately home and church.

There has been a church on the site for 700 years, with the oldest part of the present building dating from 1280; this is the three arches between the north aisle and the nave. The tower was built about 1420, and the church was considerably enlarged and altered about 50 years later. The position of the porch is unusual in that it was built on the south side of the tower but is not attached to it.

St Peter, Dyrham, Gloucestershire - 24th September 2004 - MTC

The chapel in the south aisle was once used by the Guild of St. Denis. The guild was founded in 1520 by Sir William Denys and his wife, Lade Anne, daughter of Sir Maurice Berkeley.  It was an important guild having a large number of members.

Here are the font, organ, and pulpit. The font is older than the church, being late Norman; about 800 years old.

The font, St Peter, Dyrham, Gloucestershire - 24th September 2004 - MTCThe pulpit, St Peter, Dyrham, Gloucestershire - 24th September 2004 - MTCThe organ, St Peter, Dyrham, Gloucestershire - 24th September 2004 - MTC

Here is the view from the nave into the chancel. The picture behind the altar is a Triptych, painted about 400 years ago and is of Flemish origin. It depicts the Nativity, the Adoration of the Magi and the Flight into Egypt. It stands on a shelf on the edge of which is carved the first message sent by Morse in his code: "See what God has wrought".

The nave looking east, St Peter, Dyrham, Gloucestershire - 24th September 2004 - MTC

The is a small amount of ancient glass in the tracery in the east window.

The east window, St Peter, Dyrham, Gloucestershire - 24th September 2004 - MTC

At the east end of the south aisle is the tomb of George Wynter who died in 1581 and of his wife, Anne (below).  Nearby are memorials to other members of the Wynter family.

The Wynter Tomb, St Peter, Dyrham, Gloucestershire - 24th September 2004 - MTC

The most famous object in the church is the fine brass of Sir Morys Russell and his wife which is at least 400 years old,  Sadly the glass covering the brass reflected the windows and made photography impossible.

The church has its own website here.

Digital photographs


Visitors to this album since June 2003


This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.