Click here to return to the main St Mary's page.
St Mary's church has some wonderful Victorian glass adorning the ancient windows. All the photographs here have been corrected for perspective distortion.
These first two windows are in each side of the south porch. The inscription reads "This porch was erected & the Baptistry opened for the completion of this church & the convenience of Parishioners by J E Agg Gardner M P the Baron of Ferrieres & W H Gwinnett J P all of this Parish A D 1890". The Baptistry had been converted from the north porch.
On entering the church, it is the enormous window at the west end of the south aisle, depicting the Last Supper, which grabs the attention. The glass was installed in 1880 and is by Lavers & Westlake. Above the last supper, in the upper part of the window, are images of Moses, Melchizedek, Paul, John, David and Abraham - the great cloud of witnesses.
Here is a larger view of the bottom section of the window. Judas is depicted with a black halo and Thomas with a red halo.
And here is a close up of the central image.
The next three windows are in the baptistry. The first carries the legend "Buried with Him in Baptism."
This is the window in the west wall.
The window in the east wall of the Baptistry depicts John the Baptist baptising Jesus.
The large rose window is in the east wall of the north aisle and is one of the glories of this building. The glass is by Wailes and was installed in 1876.
Also in the North Transept (north wall) is this window depicting the transfiguration. It is by Lavers & Westlake, 1890. High above is is a small round window shown below it.
These two windows are in the north wall. The first shows Moses reading the ten commandments. The second shows Jesus and the disciples with fishing boats behind, "They forsook all and followed Him", "They were not able to draw it", a reference to the fishing net overflowing with fish.
These are in the south wall depicting the parable of the Good Samaritan and the armour of God, the belt of truth, the shield of faith, the breastplate of righteousness, the helmet of salvation, the shoes of readiness and the sword of the spirit, which is the word of God.
Also in the south wall are these two windows depicting firstly the parable of the Talents (trading with Talents, the Good Steward) and secondly showing the good shepherd and the conversion of the blind man.
This large window in the west wall of the north aisle. It shows the ascension and is by Lavers and Westlake, 1889.
The west window of the nave depicts the nativity and is by Heaton & Butler, 1885.
The chancel was closed for building works so the windows were not photographed.
Click here to return to the main St Mary's page
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.