Click here to return to the main page for St Peter's West Firle.
This pair of windows are in the west wall of the church, the first on the south side of the tower ("To the Glory of God and in memory of Henry eldest son of Viscount Gage died Sept 8 a875, this window was erected by his widow.") , the second the north (inscription not noted).
This window, in the south wall to the east of the door is very attractive and depicts Martha and Mary. Sadly the light outside has caused the detail to be washed out. The inscription is in Latin.
This is the stained glass in the tracery of the east window of the south aisle.
The most beautiful window in the church is this one designed by John Piper CH, which sadly is not in the main body of the church but in the organ vestry, unseen by the congregation during services. The window was made by David Wasley, MA, ATC, ABS, MGP. It is entitled Homage to William Blake's Book of Job, and depicts the 'Tree of Life' in the Heavenly Jerusalem (Revelation 22.2). 'Firle (or 'Ferle') is Old English for 'oak', and the sheep depicted are the down land sheep from which the Southdown breed was developed and stabilized in the late 18th century. A ram surmounts the crest of the Gage coat of arms.
The window was installed in 1985 in memory of the sixth Viscount Gage, Henry Rainald Gage KCVO, who held the title for 70 years and died in 1982. The maker of the window writes: "This window, like the Epiphany Window in the ante-chapel of Robinson College Cambridge, is elaborately made and composed of three, sometimes four, layers of glass to achieve the rich, deep atmospheric appearance which glass can offer when up high, sitting in full exposure to sunlight. Up in the window, glass is light-soaked colour becoming stained glass, the pictorial combination of harsh, difficult materials conveying the original master-stroke of the artist's picture making."
This is the east window.
This little window in the north aisle has lovely colours ("In loving memory of Charles Brand of Little Dene this window is dedicated by his wife, A. D. 1913").
Here are the two roundels from the above window, which have lovely colours, "On earth peace, good will toward men." and "Let us put on the breast plate of faith and love."
This final window depicting St Michael and St Gabriel is also in the north wall and I love the rich blue of their wings. "To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Aelia Molyneux Berkely Gage Colonel Late 1th Hussars 3rd son of Lt General hon. E T Gage CB and dearly loved husband of Ethel Marion Gage. Born 29th September 1863, died 25th August 1937".
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.