This first view of St Marys shows the height of the tower in comparison to the aisles (which, looking at the stonework at their ends, have been raised at some point in their history). The west window is enormous, taking almost the entire width of the tower.
The earliest written evidence of a church at Ticehurst is in a document dated 1180. Nothing definite remains from that period, the present structure is almost all of the late 14th century. The church was probably built by Sir William de Etchingham after he completed Etchingham church in 1360. Although most of the building is therefore 600 years old, there has been some restoration, especially the windows, and much of the chancel has been rebuilt.
Here are two views of the nave, the first looking east into the chancel, the second looking west back to the tower arch. With the sun in the west, the light in the second was not ideal! The chancel arch was rebuit and raised in 1879. The present rood screen was carved locally in 1916. The west window is of Decorated style and has its original 14th century tracery.
Here is the east window, which is Perpendicular in style, and contains glass from 1879. The central part of the stained glass won first prize at the Paris Exhibition in 1878. The whole of the east end of the church had to be rebuilt from ground level in 1856, but copied exactly what was there before.
The window in the north wall of the chancel is on of the four top historic stained glass windows in England and is made up of fragments of glass dating back to 1452 or earlier. The window is shown below, one of the complete window and two detail close ups.
Below the arms of de Etchingham is part of a 'doom' or picture of the last judgement. There is a cart, pulled by devils, taking the wicked down to Hell. In the carts are figures wearing a crown, a bishop's mitre and a Pope's tiara!
In the south wall of the chancel is the attractive window below depicting The Virgin Mary and St John.
To the south of the chancel is the Clergy Vestry, previously the Pashley Chapel, which also now contains the pipe organ. There is a squint giving a view of the altar from here.
The font, with its fine oak cover, is of unknown date. The inscription around the base has been lost except the words "God" and "Elizabeth Chefe". The church registers tell us that Elizabeth Swathlynge married John Chefe in the church on 17th March 1581.
In the northern, or Courthorpe, Chapel, is located this Victorian funeral bier.
The first of these two heads rests in the squint in the Pashley Chapel, the second is located in the corner of the porch is clutching a sheild.
Here are the windows of the south aisle, starting in the south west corner.
Here are the windows from the north aisle, starting at the east end.
This statue of the Virgin Mary occupies an ancient niche above the porch door.
Here is a final picture of this glorious building taken from the southern churchyard.
The parish have a website here.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.