St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 & 29th August 2004

A lovely church and a lovely setting.  The building was locked on our first visit, but open on our second, so an internal exploration was possible.

St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTC

Between our visits some vandal had snapped all the finials from the top of the porch gates.

The most special feature of this church is the wonderful chancel arch.

The Norman Chancel Arch, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTC

The arch is constructed of iron sandstone and has unusual leopard like creatures carved into the stonework on each side - the contrast has been increased to make them more visible.

The Norman Chancel Arch, carving detail, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTCThe Norman Chancel Arch, carving detail, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTC

Here are the font and organ. The organ was built by Bishop and Starr in the 1860's, the gift of a parish in Southborough.  In 2004 it was in the process of being rebuilt by Clifford Foster of Rye, with the help of the villagers. The front of the case is a memorial to Viscount Devonport of The Place, and the sides of the organ case were formerly a Sussex oak reredos, behind the High Altar, given in memory of Arthur Rickards of Woodside.

The font, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTCThe organ, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTC

Here are two views of the nave, looking east then west.

The nave looking east, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTCThe nave looking west, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTC

Window - St Catherine, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTCThis, in my opinion, is the nicest window in the church,
depicting St Catherine. The inscription reads "To the
memory of Catherine Elizabeth Thomas died
25 May 1836".
It is in the north wall of the chancel.

The east window.

East window, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTC

The triptych, table of the Ten Commandments, the Creed and the Lord's Prayer over the chancel arch appear to be original and date from the reign of Elizabeth I.

Triptych, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTC

This memorial, situated to the west of the tower, celebrates the millennium.

Millenium Memorial, St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTC

Finally, here is the view from the north of the building. The tower contains six bells. Four tenor bells, 9cwt, was cast by Joseph Hatch of Ulcombe in 1631. The treble was recast by John Taylor in 1883, and the tenor re-hung in 1961. Two trebles cast by Eisjbouts were added to make a ring of six in 1989, when the bells were re-hung in an Eyres and Smith steel frame, the work being undertaken by people of the village. There is a 1 cwt Sanctus bell.

St Peter & St Paul, Peasmarsh, East Sussex - 13th March 2004 - MTC

Digital photographs


Visitors to this album since June 2003


This is a page from the Roughwood British Churches Album

If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.

If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:

Click here to view the Roughwood Photograph Album
Photo Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Antique Postcard Album
Postcard Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Mill Album
Mill Album

Click here to return to the Roughwood Homepage
Homepage

Click here to view the Roughwood Garden Album
Garden Album

Click here to view the Roughwood Churches Album
Church Album

Click here to view the Roughwood genealogy pages
Genealogy

Google
 
Web www.roughwood.net

Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.