This ancient church is now situated at a distance from the village of Buxted. In the early 1800's Lord Liverpool, the Prime Minister, purchased Buxted Park, and wished to make the park bigger to enclose the village, and then remove it. As he didn't repair any of the village houses, the villagers eventually left to create a new community about a mile away. All the buildings except for the church of St Margaret were demolished by 1836.
There is a public right of access to the church through the park.
These hatchments hang on the west wall (tower) of the nave.
From the 1882 Kelly's directory:
"The church of St. Margaret is a large and ancient stone building in the Early English and Decorated styles and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, a lady chapel on the north side of the chancel, north porch and a tower, with short spire, containing 6 bells : in the church is an inscription to John de Lewis, without a date ; there is also a brass, with the effigy of a priest vested and the date 1308 ; there are 5 good stained windows, two of which were the work of and were presented by the late Lady Catherine J. V. Harcourt, to whom a stained east window has been inserted, there is a piscina and sedilia in the chancel, a piscina in the lady chapel and a pulpit of ancient carved oak ; the organ was the gift of Lady Harcourt : over the porch is a rebus of the Alchorne family, representing a woman churning; an ancient oak chest, about 5 feet in length, in which the church records were formerly kept, stands in the north aisle: in the churchyard is the family vault of the Baldock and D'Oyley families. The register dates from the year 1567. The living is a rectory, net yearly value, £830, with residence and 58 acres of glebe, let for £50, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and held since 1878 by the Rev. John Philip Gell M.A, of Trinity College, Cambridge."
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.