St George's Church was designed by Charles Augustus Busby (born 1788) for Thomas Read Kemp M.P. in 1824-25 to serve the new housing development at Kemp town. It was consecrated on 30th December 1825
Situated in St George's Road, the building is rectangular without transepts and has an attractive west front with bell tower and Doric pillasters adorning the main entrance.
Kemp commissioned the church partly as an investment, hoping to receive a reasonable income from the pew rentals, however this did not work out and in 1830/31 he sold the building to Lawrence Peel and left the country to escape creditors. He died in Paris in 1844.
The Rev. James Anderson was curate from 1828 until 1851 and Queen Adelaide (consort to William IV) was a frequent worshipper. Her presence resulted in an increase in the congregation and it was necessary to install a gallery at the west end of the church. This structure was completed in just one week by Cubitt's of London, who developed Pimlico in London. Queen Adelaide donated the church silver which consisted of two chalices, a pair of patens and a cylindrical flagon.
After Peel's death in 1888, Charles Lennox Peel become owner of the freehold. He sold it to the congregation for £4,000 in 1889 reserving the family vault beneath the building. There are memorials to the Peel family on the north wall of the church.
A picture of the front, perspective distortion corrected electronically.
By 1962 the building was in need of repairs and decoration and the congregation had increased sufficiently to allow money to be found for restoration. The exterior in now restored to its original state, and looks fine especially when floodlit at night.
The church can seat 1,300 people and is a popular venue for concerts and other events.
St George's church has its own web site here.
Visitors to this album since June 2003
If you would like to purchase any of the images featured here or commission others of this church, please click here.
If you found this page using a search engine or other link, please use the icons below to link to one of the main sections of the Roughwood web site:
Please do not reproduce or store any of the pictures on this site without asking first.